With the ever evolution in digitization, Companies have noticed a significant increase in breaches and cyber threats. The current scenario has made organizations rethink their operational strategy with digital approach. Hence, companies are implementing new testing strategies which identifies issues, vulnerabilities in the development phase itself and aids in proactively preventing potential cyber attacks.
Why is software Testing so important?
The ignorance towards software development practices and extra focus on already released software products makes it super easy for hackers to exploit.
With growing cyber exploitations and data breaches security testing is a must for every company to ensure integrity, confidentiality and the availability of sensitive data.
Cyber Security Testing, a module of software testing plays a crucial role in risk assessment strategy. It assists organizations to control and mitigate various kinds of cyber risks, which in turn ensures an absolute data protection.
Additionally, compliance testing is carried out to validate if the organization’s prescribed standards are met. Compliance testing is implemented to dodge any compliance risk that can impact the organization’s exposure to legal penalties, financial, and material loss.
Let’s discuss the influence of cyber and compliance risk and how to tackle it with a proper Software Testing in place.
Three brilliant methods of security testing that leaves no room for hackers to commit unethical practices.
Black box testing
Black box testing is a software testing technique that examines the functionality of an application based on specifications. It is also called as specification testing.
It is applied at every level of testing such as unit, integration, system and acceptance. It is the best for identifying security vulnerabilities.
White box testing
Whie box testing also known as glass box testing, refers to testing of software solutions internal coding and infrastructure. It mainly focuses on code-level security, error handling and input validation.
Grey box testing
The agenda of grey box testing is to identify security vulnerabilities that would be missed by black box testing but might not be as extensive as white box testing. It combines the principles of both black box and white box testing and has the best of both worlds.
Security testing becomes every organization’s saviour if they concentrate on these key elements and domains of security testing.
· Penetration testing: Penetration testing (or pen testing) is a security exercise where a cyber-security expert attempts to find and exploit vulnerabilities in a computer system. The purpose of this attack is to identify any weak spots in a system’s defences which attackers could take advantage of.
· Infrastructure security testing: This testing focuses on everything that’s considered as backbone of a company’s IT infrastructure such as servers and storage plans.
· Vulnerability assessment: Vulnerability assessment is a process of identifying and classifying vulnerabilities in system. It is an automated scan process of the network infrastructure that allows to identify the security vulnerabilities. These scans are basically a series of checks performed on every application to detect errors or faults.
· Application security testing: The primary focus of application testing is the security of individual applications from mobile apps to web applications to desktop applications. It aids in identifying vulnerabilities in code and deployment.
· Database security testing: Database security testing when done effectively prevents the unauthorized access to sensitive, confidential data. It pin-points the vulnerabilities in data base configurations.
· Network security testing: It refers to the process of assessing and identifying vulnerabilities, risks, threats and errors in network, infrastructure and system applications.
· Compliance security testing: The main intention of compliance testing is to make sure that system complies with industry standards. This type of testing prevents any sort of legal or financial outcomes.
· Remediation and maintenance: After successful identification of threats and vulnerabilities, a process called remediation is performed which involves fixing those vulnerabilities and errors. This also involves implementation of security controls that help in preventing future risk. Frequent checks, vulnerability assessments and remediation on a regular interval basis leads to effective maintenance of organizations security.
Five-step powerful procedure to ace Cyber Security
Defining the type of cybersecurity testing: The first and fore most step taken towards tackling the vulnerabilities is defining the threat as a basic or generic vulnerability or an advanced or complicated persistent threat. After the type of threat is decided, the tester needs to discuss on the type of security testing to be implemented depending on requirements. Mostly penetration testing is performed to identify the deep-rooted causes and issues.
Testing policy: Testers analyse the vulnerability environment in real-time basis which helps them observe newly created risks in the network or environment. Furthermore, automation comes into picture that helps in deep and accurate vulnerability identification.
Identifying the influence of the threat on the system: Identifying and describing a potential threat is important to further resolve the issues. This includes discussion on whether the threat is an internal vulnerability or external vulnerability. External vulnerabilities are more serious when compared to the internal, as they can make room for hackers or any unauthorized personnel to attack.
Finding a process to mitigate the risk: Risk mitigation is an crucial process that eliminates all kinds of vulnerabilities in the system and ensure a complete, full-fledged security. Risk mitigation process further involves a thorough analysis of selecting the right resource. Organizations usually opts a third-party or the internal team to conduct the risk mitigation process.
Determining the solution: Companies mostly prefer third-party for security testing, who will guide in not just identifying the vulnerabilities but also providing their valuable advice on security products, hacks to implement and tools to buy. Companies are often seen to perform due diligence and expect the third-party to conduct independent security analysis to ensure complete safety.
Discovering and Implementing a robust cybersecurity testing model is mandatory for every organization to safeguard the company’s integrity. This also creates space for effective maintenance of safety and protection of customers confidential details.
In addition to this company could also benefit from increased operating productivity that comes from the transparent and reliable processes for handling, maintaining, and utilizing consumer confidential data in the best way
Implementing adequate protections and compliance procedures to safeguard confidential consumer and employee details eventually strengthens the company’s security position in the market. It helps secure proprietary property, such as trade secrets, software code, product specs, and other information that provides a competitive edge.